40 Questions to Ask on Your College Recruiting Visit
Your official (or unofficial) visit is an important opportunity to figure out if it is really the university and athletic program for you. It's a time to be curious, ask as many questions as you desire and don't hold back. While the coaches and players are judging you during your visit, this is also your chance to assess if this university is a good fit for you. Make a list of what you want in a school and ask questions around that. Or even better, steal some questions from the list below to make sure you touch on everything.
- What does a typical day look like?
- What time of the day do you practice?
- How long are the practices normally and how are they structured?
- Who travels for competition?
- What criteria are used to determine travel squads?
- Do you ever take alternatives or individuals when you travel?
- What are the goals for the team this season?
- Where do you see the future of this program?
- How big is this year's recruiting class?
- How much time is required to commute back and forth to and from training sites?
- Where does the team practice/workout - are there more than one site? (i.e. tennis courts and workout room)
- Is there an athletic trainer assigned specifically to the team?
- Do you have access to the training facilities on the weekends or during breaks?
- Do they offer adequate support with physical therapists, chiropractors, and massage therapists?
Questions to ask the team
- What does a typical day look like? (compare it to the coach's answer)
- How do you like the coaching staff?
- How do you manage academics and athletics?
- Are you close with one another?
- What is your favourite thing about the school?
- If you could do it all over again would you choose this university?
- Any advice for me?
- What kind of housing choices are there?
- Does the team live together?
- Where does the majority of the team live - residence halls or off-campus?
- How will I be assigned a roommate?
- What percentage of students live in campus housing?
- Are dormitories an option after freshman year?
- What are the meal plan options?
- What is the food like - are there adequate healthy food options?
- Are there any degree programs student-athletes aren't able to do?
- What type of access is there to tutors?
- Do athletes get preferential treatment when enrolling for classes?
- Are study hall hours required of all student-athletes?
- What amount of athletic scholarship do you have available for me?
- What other options are there for financial aid? (i.e. academic scholarships)
- Do I qualify for any of those?
- Where can I learn more about your merit scholarships?
- Does the school help with sponsorships or opportunities to turn pro in my sport?
- Am I able to get an internship/job in between seasons?
- Do student-athletes get help in acquiring a job after graduation?